Most of us had a moving experience at least once in our life, and we can all agree about one thing − it is always chaotic. Things can disappear from the old house to the new one like some sort of magic. Unfortunately, this can happen to everyone, even to the people who have a lot of experience with moving. The best way to be on track with your property is to make an inventory list. Making a list can be a tedious process and give more work, but in the end, you may feel safer checking if all your possessions are at the correct address. Keep on reading to find out how to make a home inventory list when moving.
Why should I make a home inventory list?
If you are wondering why to make an inventory list, one of the main reasons – you can use it as evidence. A lot of unexpected situations or natural disasters can happen along the way. Consequently, an inventory list is proof of your belongings and might help you with insurance when something goes wrong during your relocation or even after.
How to make an inventory list?
The best way is to make a plan from where you want to begin. Some people are very creative when it comes to labeling and writing their goods, but the most uncomplicated way is to start from the top (attic) to the bottom (basement) and go room by room. Double-check if you made a record of all valuables in the list before you shift to the next area, and avoid jumping around from one room to another.
Take photos or record items-highly recommended
Making an inventory list should get in the first phase before you start with packing items in the box. When you are taking notes about valuables, always write details like serial number, model, in which room was earlier, the number of the box that the item was packed in, and take a photo of every item which is on your list before and after packing.
Guide to making an inventory list
Organizing your items during packing is essential, but packing them in the right box and place is very significant too. Therefore you will need to find the most convenient way to make your inventory list, which can be construction paper or stickers of different colors, which is matching with a sticker on your box. Every inventory list must have essential details, including:
- Item Name (and if is needed description of the item too)
- Item Number (SKU number or serial number)
- Cost (Approximately value of item or receipt)
- Quantity (How many pieces you have in total of that item).
Use a home inventory app
You can also use more modern way-home inventory apps. Here are some of them:
- Excel: One of the simplest versions of how to create your inventory list. With Excel, you can make a spreadsheet to add a column, make a description of item and value.
- Sortly: Allows you to record a remarkable level of detail for every item in your home. With this app, you can make folders and subfolders to make things easier to locate. Besides, with Sortly, you can add the purchase date, expiration date, SKU number, etc. The basic form is free, but for a more advanced version, you will need to pay a monthly fee.
- My Stuff: It is one of the best inventory apps for organizing collections. We need years and a lot of patience to search and get together all pieces of the puzzle to make them complete, and then only one minute without concentration is enough to lose our possessions. For that reason, the My Stuff app is a suitable app to keep all your collections organized. Regardless they are high-value items or have sentimental value, with this app, you will be on track with which items you have in your database, and may help you to avoid buying duplicates. Also, you can scan the barcode or enter manually and share your data with other users too.
When moving is over
When your shipment arrives at your new house, it is time to check if everything is in place and if there are any discrepancies or damages to your property. Having an inventory list will make this simple since you know where to search for your high-value possessions.
How may home inventory list help when things disappear?
When making an inventory list, you are not making only a list of your property to make your move easier. No, the inventory list is a way more serious document, and you can use it as proof of insurance when needed.
When it is beneficial to have a list with you in a safe place?
Home inventory list when you claim your insurance
Accidents can happen by mistake at every moment during transportation of your valuables, but when you have recorded all your items with photos and serial numbers, moving companies will cover the damage. Before hiring a moving company in Brooklyn, check about insurance details and what they are covering to avoid surprises.
Home inventory list in case of theft
Mainly, all insurance companies will cover your stolen belongings. Whether someone comes to your house and steal or you were on the street when that happens, you will be covered by an insurance policy in any case. When possessing proof of your valuable items, photo, and receipt, the insurance company will reimburse for belongings that are missing.
Home inventory list may help in insurance claims cases of natural disasters
Unfortunately, natural disasters we cannot control, and it is devastating when this destroys your property or home. Knowing which disasters can ruin your home will help you to make the right choice with insurance and protect in advance. Having an inventory list will make insurance claims easier, especially in those times. Duplicate your inventory list or use an app that supports cloud backup and sync folder, otherwise you may lose it.
Check your home inventory list with movers
Once you already make an inventory list and finish with packing, compare your list with a list from the moving company and check if everything is accurate and noted. If you are looking for a reliable and best Brooklyn movers to help you with your moving, we might be the right solution for you.